HEALTH / MENTAL HEALTH & BEHAVIOR | June 5, 2007
The Disorder Is Sensory; the Diagnosis, Elusive
By BENEDICT CAREY
My thoughts? Well, SI dysfunction is a tricky thing: I feel confident I've seen it in my own child, yet the scientific evidence on the disorder is practically nil, let alone evidence on effective treatments. In a previous post of LD-related resources (here), I posted a few items on this topic; I repeat them here:
Sensory Integration International (focus is the Ayres/OT view of SI)
Sensory Processing Disorder Network (lots of info about SI, treatment, options, etc.
The Out-Of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping With Sensory Integration Dysfunction, by Carol Stock Kranowitz and Larry B. Silver (original edition 1998; revised edition 2005). I thought the book was very helpful in understanding range of possible presentations of SI dysfunction; revised edition looks pretty similar to original.Answers to Questions Teachers Ask About Sensory Integration, by Carol Stock Kranowitz, Deanna Iris Sava, Elizabeth Haber, Lynn Balzer-Martin, and Stacey Szklut, first edition 2000; second edition 2004.
The Sensory-Sensitive Child: Practical Solutions for Out-of-Bounds Behavior, by Karen A. Smith and Kren R. Gouze, 2004. I liked Chapters 2 (description of problems) and 6 (checklist-does your child have a problem?), but the best was Chapter 8 ("Surviving and Thriving at School", because preschool, grade school, and middle school were discussed separately (sorry, no high school discussion!).
No comments:
Post a Comment